Friday 31 October 2014

Delicate Flower on Weigh-In Days

(ana)

so apparently, I am a delicate flower......when it comes to weigh in day.  :)  Who knew?.  Good lord, you'd think at my old age and with all the life experience I have (compared to my younger team mates in their crazy sport we are playing), that I'd be more even keeled, and chilled about a bunch of silly numbers that the machine spits out at me every friday.   

......But nope.  I struggle with the initial numbers I see thinking to myself "really???  WTF?  with all the hard work I'm putting in, the strickness of my diet, why did I gain 2.5 pounds this week.  

ARGH !!!!!!

And of course there is the good ole fashion habit I have of always comparing myself to others and Bails and Jen are doing great, losing weight every week, etc. blah, blah, blah.....

So trainer Jamie told me to take a deep breathe and watch and listen.  He explained the numbers to me more carefully and I now see that they aren't really that bad.  I have gained 3.4 lbs of fat free mass (meaning muscle), and was up 2.6 lbs of water weight (which is a good thing as I was dehydrated.) and lost 1.3 % of body fat (all in one week).  So that is good right?  Yes, it is.  and I'm feeling proud of my accomplishments eventhough the overall number on the scale went from 142.4 to 144.8.

Like trainer Jamie says, the numbers aren't always what they seem. So apparently, I build muscle easily which is a good thing I guess. 

This whole process is teaching me so much.  Our bodies are very different and nobody ever said that life was fair.  I may have to work harder, be even more diligent with everything I put in my body, but that's ok.   I need to be kinder to myself and pat myself on the back (which is getting pretty awesome, so they tell me as I can't see it.) for the accomplishments along the way, regardless how small. 

It's a One day a time kinda process.  I'm excited to see what next week brings.  And I have vowed to myself not to be so delicate next time I step on that scale.  :)

Happy Halloween everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment